Tuesday, June 20, 2006

google help - validated but no site map

I registered in some new way with google going down the path towards a site map but only getting so far as to validate my site.

They have two very interesting tables under statistics, query stats. Can anyone explain their explanation? Google says:

Top search queries are the queries that most often returned pages from your site and top search query clicks are the top queries that directed traffic to your site (based on the number of clicks to your pages).

1. "Top search queries are the queries that most often returned pages from your site ". Does this mean that:
a. of all the searches, these are the ones that my site ranks highest on? - I don't think so.
b. of all of the searches, these are the ones that produced the absolute highest number of returns of my site. (so number of searches times my ranking on the search)?
I think its the latter but its unclear to me whether ranking means that I'm in the top 3, top 1o, or anywhere in the list. From studying the table, I see that the lowest average position listed is 14. Does this mean that they are using the top 15 as the universe of searches and are listing those searches which have the highest volume in which I showed up in the top 15?

2. top search query clicks are the top queries that directed traffic to your site (based on the number of clicks to your pages). This seems clear.

No comments: